Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Growing Older

     Growing older is a natural phenomenon, and I shall embrace it with dignity.  People comment that I look 20 years younger than my actual age, and I'm happy to hear that, but I'm not given to vanity.  When I was younger, in my teens, I didn't give much thought to how I looked.  I figured I was just average and I didn't seek out compliments.  When I look back at those pictures of myself I realize that I was actually a very good looking youth.  They say hindsight is 20/20.  That is so true.  We never think we look as good as we do until years later when we see pictures of ourselves.  It's amazing.   So, when people tell me how youthful I look when they learn my actual age, I take it at face value.  I'm not the type of person to be overly concern with physical appearances.  I will never dye my hair.  I will never alter my appearance with plastic surgery.  If I gain weight, I will take it off naturally through exercise and diet.  I will grow old gracefully and with great dignity.   

1 comment:

  1. I wrote this piece 4 years ago when I retired from teaching. It still holds true today.

    ReplyDelete